It was a wonderful opportunity for peace educators across the divide to come together and exchange ideas and experiences with regards to peace education in Cyprus. We need more such examples of researchers and practitioners coming together and working towards a common goal. Thanks again to MyCy Radio, the CCMC, and of course Christina for inviting us!
You can listen to the show using the link here (discussion starts at 10:00). The total duration of the show is one hour. Enjoy!
We discussed topics such as:
- What is peace education?
- Why is peace education necessary in Cyprus?
- What are some examples of peace education initiatives in Cyprus?
- What are some obstacles to peace education in Cyprus, and in particular (my area of expertise), what is the nature of resistance to peace education in Cyprus in media discourses?
- The labelling of peace educators as 'traitors' by extreme nationalists and why this is problematic
- Recommendations for peace education in Cyprus
If you do happen do listen to the show, and you agree/disagree/have something to add, I would love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a comment below!